PRIVACY NOTICE FOR STUDENTS AND FAMILY MEMBERS RESPONSIBLE FOR STUDENTS
EFFECTIVE FROM 25th MAY 2018
The Jill Gregory School of Dancing will control your personal data in accordance
with the Data Protection Act1998, and the General Data Protections Regulation from
the 25th May 2018
This Dancing School has what is referred to as having a “legitimate interest” in
the personal date we collect from you and about you.
The ‘what’ and ‘why’ of collecting your personal data.
1. We need to be able to communicate with our students and their parents/guardians/other
nominated responsible persons to ensure that they are informed about all matters
within the dancing school by which they are affected, for example examinations, performances,
fees, school terms and provision of other relevant information.
2. We need to be able to contact you if there is an emergency when dancers are on
the premises without their parents/guardians.
3. It is essential that we know of any health conditions or learning disabilities
which will help us to understand any problems which our dancers may have, and respond
accordingly. If members need inhalers, epi pens or other medication with them, then
we need to know this.
4. We need to know the date of birth of students for examination registrations and
to assist us with our scheduling of classes and examinations.
5. It is useful to know which schools dancers attend, as this may help with planning
holidays and classes.
Sharing of your data WITHIN the Dancing School:
6. Your telephone number(s) will be programmed into a passworded mobile telephone
at the dancing school to be available in case of an emergency. This telephone will
be stored securely and only used in an emergency and for receiving texts in respect
of missed classes (excluding Adult Classes and Singing classes (separate phone number).
It will only be accessed by the Teachers.
7. You may choose to pass your telephone number to Teachers with whom you need to
arrange additional lessons or discuss matters relating to classes they teach or other
matters relating to the Dancing School.
8. Your email address will be shared with Teachers within the Dancing School so that
they are able to contact you about matters relating to you/your child(ren)’s dancing.
9. You will have the option for your email address to be shared with other members
of the class for arrangements of matters relating to your class.
10. Exam Time Tables and Class Lists sent out by email will give names of candidates
as this is necessary in order to inform class members and examination candidates
of their groupings and everyone within the group is known to each other.
Sharing of your data OUTSIDE the Dancing School:
11. In order that students may take examinations it is necessary that we share your
information with The British Theatre Dance Association/Graded Qualifications Alliance
or other Examination Board for examinations our students take. Students who have
a UCL (Unique Learning Number – usually given when students begin GCSE work) will
need to inform us, or the BTDA of this number, so that Credits awarded for BTDA exams
can be added to your academic record. Please refer to the BTDA Privacy Notice in
respect of their treatment of registered examination candidates’ data.
12. It may be necessary for us to share information with Examiners, e.g. learning
disabilities, deafness etc
13. From time to time, the Nottingham City Council may request information about
the ethnicity and area of habitation of groups using Sherwood Community Centre for
Statistics and Equality and Diversity Monitoring. No personal data of this kind
would be shared, only totals.
Personal data such as addresses, telephone number, date of birth, email address will
be deleted within three years of students leaving the dancing school.
Examination results lists will not be deleted, as students may well wish to acquire
a list of their achievements at a later date.
What are your rights?
You have the right to:
request a copy of personal information the Jill Gregory School of Dancing holds
have any inaccuracies corrected;
have your personal data erased;
place a restriction on our processing of your data
object to processing
request your data to be ported.
The Jill Gregory School of Dancing is obliged to respond within 40 days of receiving
a formal request for disclosure, subject to the application of any relevant exemptions
under the Data Protection Act 1998. Applications should be made to the School’s Data
Protection Officer who is the Principal.
If you have not reached the age of 16, you may first wish to discuss this Privacy
Notice with your parent or carer.
For the purposes of this Privacy Notice The Jill Gregory School of Dancing is a ‘data
controller’ under the termsof the Data Protection Act 1998. As a data controller
the Jill Gregory School of Dancing is required todetermine the purpose(s) for which
‘personal data’ (information about individualsfrom which they can be identified)
is processed and the way in which thatprocessing is undertaken. It is a requirement
for data controllers to provide datasubjects (individuals who are the subject of
personal data) with details of who theyare, the purposes for which they process
the personal data, and any otherinformation that is necessary to make the processing
of the personal data secureand accurate, including any third parties to whom is
may be passed to.
If you would like to see the Privacy Notice for the British Theatre Dance Association
- the examining board with whom we enter students for examinations - please click